Leica 11811 Overview
Recalling the vintage Summicron 50mm f/2 (II) from 1956, the black-chrome edition Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH. features a classic exterior design characterized by its distinct finish, scalloped focusing ring, and red enamel filled engravings. While vintage-inspired on the outside, this lens also retains the contemporary apochromatic optical design that uses anomalous partial dispersion and high refractive index glass elements to virtually eliminate chromatic aberrations. One aspherical element is also featured in the design, to reduce spherical aberrations, and a floating element maintains clarity and sharpness throughout the focusing range from 2.3′ to infinity. This compact 50mm lens is also distinguished by its compact form factor, making it ideal for use as an everyday lens.
- As part of a limited edition of 700 pieces, this black-chrome finish APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH. lens features a svelte black exterior as well as an exterior design that resembles the Summicron 50mm f/2 (II) lens from 1956. Other distinct design elements include a scalloped focusing ring and engraved focal length and focus distances in feet filled with red enamel paint. In addition to the unique appearance of the lens, this edition also includes a solid brass front lens cap as well as a round brass lens hood engraved with ‘Made in Germany.’
- Apochromatic design employs three elements made from anomalous partial color dispersion glass, as well as two high refractive index elements, in order to suppress chromatic aberrations throughout the aperture range for increased color accuracy and clarity.
- One aspherical element reduces spherical aberrations for improved sharpness from edge to edge.
- A floating element is used to maintain clarity and sharpness throughout the focusing range, from 2.3′ to infinity.
- In addition to the apochromatic designation, this lens also pairs a Gaussian type optical construction in front of the aperture along with a design resembling the Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 behind the aperture, in order to significantly reduce distortion while also increasing overall sharpness and consistent illumination.
- Bright f/2 maximum aperture benefits working in difficult lighting conditions and also affords greater control over depth of field.
- Compact overall design is ideal for use in everyday shooting situations.
- Manual focus design provides a minimum focusing distance of 2.3′ with a maximum magnification ratio of 1:11.3.
- The front of the lens is threaded to accept 39mm screw-in filters.